Friday, October 21, 2005

St. Louis

Quick restaurant review:
St. Louis, in 'The Hill' neighborhood, which apparently is an old Italian neighborhood, where Joe Garagiola and Yogi Berra grew up. There are several Italian restaurants in this area, but we were given a list of the 'top' ones, based upon quality of the grub. Cunetto's is down in this area, and we were amazed at the amount of food you are served. The service was great, and the food was incredible.
I got the Chicken Cardinale which was amazing. I could see where it could be a very rich dish that one would get sick on if not prepared right, but it was perfectly done where it was just rich enough to make me want more.
Of course, this was the night of Game 6 of the NLCS, so we headed downtown to Caleco's bar, which was amusing, but overwhelmed with angry Cardinal fans. Seems that unlike Tiger fans (of which I count myself), Cardinal fans actually expect their team to WIN?!?! Since I really don't know what that's about, I was confused. It's a cool downtown with what looks like several things to do. First time I've seen The Arch. Looked pretty cool, but we didn't go up in the beast, as it was kind of late in the evening. We were offered tickets to the game in the top of the 2nd, and since the bar we were at was a block from the stadium, we probably could have been their by the bottom of the 2nd, but the guys I was with didn't want to pay $100 for tix. Hell, I would have in a heartbeat, being that it's the last game in Busch Stadium before the renovation (which they're basically demolishing much of the old park and building another park in its place, but keeping some of it.
Overall, it was amusing, but probably not somewhere I'd spend a lot of time. I'd rate Columbus, Indy, and Chicago higher. Probably about even with Cleveland/Detroit.

No comments: