Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Awww...poor baby

Read this article. Now, by judging your reaction to it, you will be able to tell whether you are a liberal or a conservative.

A liberal will look at it and say "Aw, those poor girls. I can't believe that they were treated so badly. Some nameless government agency should step up and help them, and the foundation that made this promise should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and be sentenced to more time in a federal penitentiary than a drug dealer. Look at the affects of this foundations broken promises, kids in prison and pregnant. America is a horrible country if we don't fix this with tax money."

A conservative will look at it and say "This is an amazing story of perserverence and the American spirit. Despite the fact that they had hardships, they still made it through a difficult environment growing up and still attended college and now have a future ahead of them. A great argument for why it is that America is still the greatest country in the world and why it is true that if you truly want to do something, there's nothing that can hold you back".

Which one are you?

Just a note: No one promised me a free college tuition if I stayed in school. No one promised me jack. I came from an extremely poor family. But I perservered, worked through high school, and worked through college, joined the Marines to help pay for college, and now am a successful professional, making more money than I ever thought I would. But no one gave me a damn thing. These girls should be thankful they learned a valuable lesson. Something you work for is infinitely more valuable than something that is given to you.

No comments: