Sunday, April 10, 2005

He's baaaaaack

Thanks to KDC for keeping the posts up.

Got back last night, and the first voice mail I receive is from a guy who was my bosses boss at a former employer telling me that the first guy I hired to work for me in that position was killed. Apparently he was working on a truck on a slope and it slipped out of gear and it rolled over him. I missed everything to do with the 'grieving process', the wake, the funeral, etc.
He had kids, family, etc, and a wife that he was divorcing. His wife was a bitch on wheels and will probably now get all the stuff she was trying to screw him out of when he was alive. I hope she's happy now. I'm certainly not.
G was one of my best golfing buddies. We both were about the same level golfers, (we both stunk!), so we just went out and had a good time with it, enjoying the walk, the day, the sunshine, and the ability to get outdoors, Since we both worked with computers, we were stuck indoors most of the time. We had a tradition that we'd always take June 21st off (the day with the most daylight during the year) and golf from as early as we could go to as late as we could. It turned out that consuming beer that early in the morning has an adverse affect on your golf game and it pretty much just was a bullshit-fest, but that's most of the enjoyment of the day.

This June 21, I think I'll just take the day off, and sit in my backyard and drink beer, maybe occasionally taking out my 9-iron and whacking a big-assed divot outta my grass, just for posterity.

The one thing that I regret the most (and I suppose that this is the case for when most people pass), is that I didn't spend more time playing golf, shooting the bull, or whatever with him. I guess this is what they mean when they say "live every day like it's your last". We all get caught up in our own little issues, and don't remember to tell our friends how much they mean to us. And then next thing you know it's weeks since you've spoken to them....then months....then years. Last time I talked to him, we were talking about my Super Bowl party that I was having and that he was going to bring some folks we used to work with. I encouraged him to do so and told him it'd be good to talk to him.
He never came. And I didn't grief him about it because I figured something came up with his soon-to-be ex, who was one of those passive aggressive people who would just do anything to make him miserable. But I hadn't talked to him since.

Godspeed G, see you on the other side.

No comments: