Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Socialized medicine

For those of you who know me, or who have at least read a damn word in this blog, you know that I view socialized medicine as pretty much the end of the US as a leader in the world and the climactic point of the marginalization of this country as a free country.

Hillary-care was announced yesterday, and my wife, who is a physician and is about as disinterested in politics as any human being I know, lost her damn mind. The funny thing is, for someone who really doesn't like politics or the whole process, she had some spot-on observations. Her biggest point was 'freedom'. Whomever presented the plan said that it was not unlike requiring people to have car insurance, but that they were going to require people to have health insurance. I'm not a big fan of the prior, but I'll be damned if I'm going to have the government tell me I HAVE to have health insurance. If I wasn't old and decrepit, I'd drop my insurance just out of spite. And yet, the funny thing is that people just think that this will be 'free'. John Edwards says that his program will be paid for by rolling back all the tax cuts given to the rich. Except that it wasn't just the rich who got tax cuts during the Bush tax cuts. Additionally, they define 'rich' as making over $200k. While that is a good chunk of change, that's not rich. Rich is "I can go fly to Europe when I show up at the airport whenever I want". 200k is hard working, motivated upper middle class.

However, one thing I do know is that this is going to be a HUGE impact on the budget. Taxpayers think they have a burden now, just wait until Obama/Hillary/Barbieboy care gets implemented...jesus....

And don't get me started on why it is that medical costs are so high. Between Barbieboy and his fellow ambulance chasers and the ultimate bureaucracy that IS hospital administration, it may actually BE more efficient run by the government...and that's not sarcasm.

No comments: