Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Who's watching the watchers?

So, many of you know that I used to work for a CPA firm. I have no intention of denigrating my friends that still work there, as they do a damn fine job at what they do, showing that no matter how high you pile the bullsh__, there is still some decency within.
However, when I read this story about how the AICPA had a hard drive with the social security numbers of all 330,000 of their members (UNENCRYPTED), I had to laugh. Go to their website, and on their front page is it plastered in huge letters all across the site? Nope. This would be the same organization that whines to corporate America about the need for transparency throughout their business practices and how policies and procedures will be the saviour of us all, but when it comes right down to it, they have a hard drive with the social security numbers of all 330,000 of their members and they don't have the brains to encrypt the data.
Out-friggin-standing.
Good to know that my assessment of the intelligence of your average CPA was spot-on.

No comments: