Thursday, February 09, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Nope, I didn't go see it. But the wife did. Go figure. I got the standard lecture prior to the movie about how I'm 'homophobic' blah blah. My standard response applied "Homophobic implies that there's something wrong with me and let's be frank, no one wants to watch two guys getting it on".
Well, she wanted to see it so she went by herself. This isn't a big deal, as she has the occasional afternoon off and frequently sees movies by herself, especially ones that she knows I have absolutely NO desire to see. But of course, she had to give me the full report of course after seeing it.
"Did you know they actually showed them doing it?". Um....no, but that's a picture I really didn't want in my mind, thanks. After her synopsis, it sounds like it's a love story and a story about how the choices in your life affect how your life works out. Well, DUH. But more to the point, there are a select few movies that I'll actually fork out eight bucks to see, and a love story ain't one of them. Neither is a cowboy movie, unless it's starring Clint Eastwood. So, this bad boy had two strikes against it from the get go. The only saving grace is that it has nude scenes with Anne Hathaway (Princess Diaries, Ella Enchanted...hawt), so that's a plus, but heck, I can download that scene from the Internet darn near anywhere, so that doesn't do it for me.
What I found interesting is that while my wife said that she liked the movie, she didn't say it was a great movie. It seems that Hollywood is fawning all over the movie because if they didn't, they may be afraid that they would come off as anti-gay. Which seems to be counterintuitive since a helluva lot of them ARE gay, but I'm just not sure how to read it. On one hand, you've got all these people saying "oh god what a great movie", and on the other you have all the regular every day people who've seen it who say "it was ok, not bad, but not incredible". So, is the press/media gushing over it because they don't want to seem insensitive/gay-bashing? I'll let you make your own opinion on that, but it just seems like much like a lot of other things in the US today, people are going overboard because they have a social agenda. If a qb is black and halfway good, he's the best thing since sliced bread. If a movie is halfway good and about gay people, it's Oscar-worthy.

Marginalization in the effort of acceptance is something that lowers the bar for everyone and shouldn't be tolerated, no matter what the social standards are.

No comments: