Monday, November 27, 2006

Halftime

Nah, I'm not talking about a football game or basketball game.

Today is my 39th birthday. As such, the average life expectancy of a male in the US is approximately 78, and so, today is the halftime of my life. I've completed half of my expected time on earth now. As such, I've taken the day off today to reflect on the things I've done, the things I've NOT done, and maybe allow myself a bit of self-flagellation and self-congratulation.

Haven't done:

1. Ran a marathon: Always wanted to, almost did a couple years ago, thanks to Dr. Ken, but at the last minute, got tendonitis in my knee and couldn't do it. I may still pull this one off this year. Definitely up there in the 'Need to do' list.

2. Haven't held public office. While I always thought that was something I wanted to do, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'm entirely too forthcoming with my opinions, no matter how offensive to some PC individuals to actually hold a public office, without causing my family much grief. Still may try, but that's yet to be decided.

3. There's lots of other things I thought in high school or college that I'd do...play center field for the Tigers, (although other than this last year, I probably coulda done better than the guys who DID), center for the Montreal Canadiens, get studio credits on a Bruce Springsteen album for saxophone, since Clarence retired, etc...... Most of these were stereotypical highschool and college foolishness...but still, warrant mentioning here.

Things I've done:

1. Found true love. Yeah, sounds corny, but seriously, I don't know many women that would put up with my shit. My wife has her shortcomings, as with any human beings, but she's incredible and I'm blessed to be with her. I've not exactly been a perfect husband, and she still tolerates me. That's a good thing

2. I've done a half-assed decent job of raising two great kids. They're not perfect, and if they were, I'd be questioning number one here....as far as her faithfulness! My son is a mini-me in looks only. His intelligence and maturity amaze me every day. He's going to be a success, as long as I don't screw him up!
My daughter is a sweet hearted girl who loves everyone. She could make best friends in a matter of seconds. She makes me crazy most of the time, because her personality is so much like mine, but I am amazed by her view of the world and how she sees things through a completely different view. Her ability to see the good in everyone and completely ignore the bad is a great trait that I really hope she never loses, although I hope I can teach her to temper it a bit!

3. Fought in a war and served honorably for 8 years in the Marine Corps. While I don't actually look at this as a major accomplishment, since it didn't seem such a major deal at the time, it's still something that not everyone can say. Facing enemy fire, put into situations that truly tested my mettle, and succeeding tells me all I need to know about myself.

4. I've made some amazing friends along the way. Some I've lost literally, RIP Norm, Dan, and Gerald. Some I've lost figuratively, merely losing track of them. If you're one of those friends, call me...email me...or just let me know you're still out there. I guarantee I've not forgotten you, and I hope you've not forgotten me.

As much as I'd like to put more out here, I'm sure I'm boring the crap out of those of you who don't know me personally. Thanks for listening, and we'll be back to the cynical stuff tomorrow!

J

No comments: