Monday, November 06, 2006

Borat - three stars

Friday I went to Borat. At lunch. For $5. A couple of guys from work decided that we usually take a little over an hour for lunch, so heck, it was Friday, why not take two.

So we did, and we took in Borat.

Honestly, I expected that it'd be the kind of movie I could not get too excited about. I wasn't planning on going to see it and would put it on my Netflix queue. But I was glad I went to see it.

It was definitely funny, although many 'uncomfortable' humor moments were experienced. I'm generally not a fan of 'uncomfortable humor', but in this case, it worked. The type of humor that makes people kind of squirm in their seats and look around to see if others are laughing. Borat pulled it off, and while many people would look at it as a movie critical of the US, I looked at it like I look at most other forms of entertainment. Just that. Entertainment. Sasha Baron Cohen kept me wondering how in the HELL he stays in character when faced with such odd circumstances, as well as how much of it was staged and how much was really as uncomfortable as it looked.

Anyway, if you get a chance, take a look at it, it's not a bad flick at all, and for $5, you could do worse....like 'Running with Scissors'. When the previews for a movie suck as bad as these ones do, you know it's going to be bad. They're supposed to pick out the BEST scenes for the previews. Yikes.

No comments: