Tuesday, December 06, 2011

My "friend" David

So, David responded yesterday, looking for more information:
Hello,
Thanks for your honesty towards this transaction so far.  Sorry for the late response, I was out of town for the weekend, I have been notified by my financial institution that the funds have been deducted from my account and I have received the Western union Money transfer number, I would also need the Sender's name and address ( as it appears on the receipt) actual amount sent.  Kindly get back to me with the Western Union transfer details (as it appears on the receipt obtained) so that i can forward it to the movers for confirmation of payment and they would schedule for the pick up of the item alongside with my other properties..
What is your schedule for the week prior to pick up?
It's awesome doing business with you.
Best regards.
I find it ironic that the conman continues to reference "honesty" when speaking about our 'transactions'.  And of course it's awesome doing business with me because he actually thinks he's going to get money out of this, unlike the majority of his other victims.

Unfortunately, David, in his greed, called my house (remember, I gave him my phone number in one of the original correspondence) and my wife answered.  I failed to cover that base and bring her in on the scam.  She told him that we found out that the check was fake and that we were coming after him with police. 

Damn.  Busted.

So, I'm thinking that it's likely that'll be the last I hear from David.  Note to self:  Next time you want to string along a conman to see if he will give up any info, make sure the wife is on board.  However, I think the lesson out of all of this is that it's very unlikely that any authorities will get involved unless we're talking tens of thousands of dollars being scammed, because it's just not economically viable to prosecute someone for a couple thousand dollars.  Harsh?  Yes.  Accurate?  Unfortunately, yes as well.  So, please, for your own financial well-being, don't even give these assholes the time of day.  Eventually they'll give up and go back to trying to con people playing three card monty on the street.  Or selling mutual funds.
Maybe I'll renew the ad on Craigslist so I can phish in some new dumbasses....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank You for posting about this jackass...I just got an email from this guy in response to an item I posted on craigslist. Of course his email read scam all over it so I googled his name and came across your blog. I forwarded his email onto my states FBI office and sent him a nasty email back. That's what he gets for messing with a Special Forces wife!!!